Let’s face it: as Atlantic Canadians, we may not spend much time worrying about auto theft. Windows are left down, keys are left in the ignition and purses are left on the seat. Some might get away with it but don’t let yourself be one of those who gets stung by auto theft.
Aside from creating a huge inconvenience for drivers, auto theft often results in personal and financial losses and emotional distress. With a few simple steps, however, you can stop car thieves in their tracks.
1. Close your car windows, lock the doors, and hold on to the keys when your car is parked.
2. Place valuables out of sight‚ either in your trunk or under the seat.
3. Don’t leave your vehicle running unattended, even if you’re just making a really quick stop. About 20% of stolen cars have the keys in the ignition!
4. Park in a busy, well-lit area, even if it means having to park slightly further away from your destination.
5. Have the parts of your car marked. There are companies that mark individual components of your vehicle or etch identifiers into the window glass, which deters thieves and helps investigators identify your car if it’s stolen.
Prevent Auto Theft2016-10-142016-10-19https://cooke.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/2020_cookeinsurance-navacord-logo_rgb.pngCooke Insurancehttps://cooke.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/1476474101.jpg200px200px